What if I do not pay my traffic citation?

If you fail to pay your total citation and have not appeared at a good cause/indigency hearing and have not been found indigent, the Court may suspend an adult driver’s license for up to one year, a warrant may be issued for your arrest, and your forfeiture may be referred for collections.  As a juvenile, the Court may suspend your driver’s license for up to one year and your forfeiture may be referred to collections.

If I am found guilty of a traffic violation, how will my conviction or points affect my insurance?

You will need to contact your insurance carrier.  Every company has a different method of assessing points against your insurance.


If I am found guilty of a traffic violation, how will it affect the points assessed against my driving record?

If you are found guilty of a traffic violation, your driving record will be charged with the appropriate amount of points.  The points assessed for the offense you have been charged is indicated on the top of your citation next to the forfeiture amount.
The Court will not determine the number of points assessed against your record.  The Court will merely report the conviction to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and they will assess the number of points against your record depending upon the charge.  If you accumulate twelve (12) points against your driving record within a one-year period (by the date of violation), your license will be suspended or revoked.  If you have a probationary license, the demerit points are doubled for a second or subsequent conviction for a moving violation.

How do I know if I am in point trouble on my driving record?

If you have a Wisconsin driver’s license, you should contact the Department of Transportation directly at (608) 266-233, or visit their website at www.dot.wisconsin.gov.

Is there a chance of reducing my points or charges?

When you appear in Court at the initial Appearance, under your particular circumstances, the Judge may amend your charge, which can result in a reduction of the amount of your forfeiture, points, or both.  If you request a pre Trial, you will be able to meet with the Somers prosecuting attorney to discuss your citation, points, and forfeiture(s).