The Village of Somers is seeking a candidate for the position of Accountant I. The accountant is responsible for the Village and Town of Somers accounting functions and related financial reporting. It includes, but is not limited to, assisting the finance manager with financial reporting, financial data processing, budget development, accounts receivable, accounts payable, utility billing, cash reconciliation, internal control, coordination of employee benefits and implementation of accounting policy.
This is a full-time, salaried, non-represented exempt position.
The primary responsibilities of this position are, but not limited to:
- Assists the Accounting Manager with the fiscal operations of the Village and Town of Somers and all its respective funds (i.e.: General Fund, Capital Improvement Fund, Water and Sewer Utilities, TIF Districts (1-11), Debt Service Funds, Stormwater Fund).
- Assists the Accounting Manager in the Maintenance of requisite journals and ledgers to high standard necessary to maintain the Village and Town’s Utility Funds reporting functions and the corresponding reimbursement programs applicable under state and federal standards.
- Assists the Accounting Manager in the planning and development of all Village and Town budgets.
- May be assigned duties to research funding or funds for special projects, studies, programs, services, or operations necessary to fill the needs of the Village or Town and the Village Utility Districts.
- Assists in preparation of Annual State Form C, PSC Report and all financial cycle reporting both internal and external.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations for all Village and Town bank accounts.
- Process and manage all payroll & benefits in compliance with Village, State, and Federal Requirements.
- Oversees preparation of all Village/Town employees W-2 information as well as issuing and reconciling 1099 information.
- Serves as back-up for Accounts Payable/Receivable.
- Assists the Village Administrator and Accounting Manager in researching grants and compliance with grant accounting requirements.
- Assists the Accounting Manager in monitoring monthly departmental financial performance.
- Assists Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer with collection and maintenance of Special Assessment database.
- As a part of payroll function, manages the coordination of employee benefits.
- Assists the Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer and Accounting Manager in coordinating with the Auditors of the Village & Town for preparation of the annual report of the Village & Town Financial Accounts, as well as TID audits if necessary.
- Complete tasks as assigned by Village/Town Clerk / Treasurer and Village/Town Administrator.
A full description of the position is available here.
Applicants must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting or equivalent work experience; preferably with an emphasis in governmental accounting. Two years of recent accounting experience is required. Upon hiring, the completion of Municipal Treasurer’s Institute will be required within three years.
Salary to commensurate with experience. The Village/Town of Somers offers excellent benefit package including Wisconsin Retirement System, health & dental insurance. This is a full-time, non-represented, salaried and exempt position.
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with some evening and weekend work required.
Applicants need to fill out this application and send it along with their resume and references to: Village of Somers, Attn: Kevin Poirier, Assistant to Village/Town Administrator, PO Box 197, Somers, WI 53171 or email [email protected]