The Village of Somers is seeking a candidate for the position of Building Inspector. The position is responsible for providing a wide range of support functions relating to building inspections.
This is a full-time non-represented position.
The primary responsibilities of this position are, but not limited to:
- Ensuring that submitted building plans comply with state, county and local codes, ordinances and Plan Commission approvals.
- Maintaining up-to-date records of all building, plumbing, electrical and H.V.A.C. inspections and related plan information.
- Receiving and answering all inquiries for building inspections and related services.
- Scheduling and conducting all inspections in a timely manner.
- Directing and supervise assistant building inspectors.
- Calculating and recording all building inspection fees, and coordinating with office/staff to collect building and inspection fees.
- Issuing all permits and recording them into permit tracking software.
- Collecting and recording all utility hook-ups, culvert placement and impact fees.
- Coordinating property addresses and issue address number as assigned by Kenosha County. Maintaining required information accordingly and provide information to Fire Department.
- Issuing reports as required on matters of code or ordinance compliance, condemnations and periodic building status.
- Assisting Administrator to enforce the Village Ordinances and when necessary attend hearing in municipal or circuit court to assist Village Attorney.
- Attending Village Board meetings as requested as resource advisor to the Village Board.
- Coordinating with county Health Department, County Park and Land Use Department on matters related to buildings, building placement or removal and environmental protection.
- Coordinating all zoning enforcement and related activity with Kenosha County Planning Department.
- Coordinating review of building plans and safety related issues with Fire Department on multi-family, commercial and industrial building plans and safety issues with the Fire Chief.
- Advising Administrator and Village Board on matters concerning status of projects, issues and goals of the Building Department on routine basis.
- Complying and adhering to rules and regulations to the Village Ordinances and Personnel Regulations.
- Preparing annual departmental budget and monitor revenues and expenditures.
A full description of the position and application is available here.
Education and/or experience
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- A Minimum of five years of experience in the building trades is highly desirable.
The Village/Town of Somers offers excellent benefit package including Wisconsin Retirement System, health & dental insurance.
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Applications need to be submit their resume with references to: Village of Somers, Attn: Jason J. Peters, Village/Town Administrator, PO Box 197, Somers, WI 53171 or email [email protected].