Households interested in giving away treats should indicate their interest by turning on their porch or front yard light.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers the following safety tips for trick-or- treat:
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
- Wear well-fitting costumes, and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips and falls.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use crosswalks wherever possible.
- Swords, knives, and other costume accessories should be short, soft and flexible.
- Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
- Consider adding reflective tape to costumes to assist in visibility after dark. Sunset is at 5:45 p.m. in Somers on Halloween.