UPDATE: Position has been filled
The Village of Somers is seeking a candidate for the position of Clerk I. This is a full-time, non-represented position. The Clerk I is responsible for day-to-day clerical, secretarial, and customer service functions for the Village of the Somers. He/she must demonstrate strong skills in listening, adaptability and performs a variety of confidential and complex clerical, administrative and technical work to assist the Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer. This position reports directly to the Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer. This is a full-time, non-represented, salaried, and exempt position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Answer phones, supply information to callers, and/or directs phone calls to the appropriate department.
- Greet visitors; answer questions and complaints in a tactful and helpful manner.
- Record incoming complaints and comments.
- Make appointments and reservations as required.
- Assist the Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer with the maintenance of the Wisconsin election management and voter registration system including processing voter information, fulfilling absentee ballot requests, and other election related duties.
- Serve as back-up for the Utility Clerk.
- Write and edit documents.
- Assist the Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer with the processing of various licenses and permits including, but not limited to, alcohol beverages, cigarette, direct sellers, dogs, cabaret, amusement and burn permits.
- Handle annual licensing, monthly billings and maintenance of the database for mobile homes and mobile home parks.
- Purchase and maintains inventory of supplies for office.
- Receive payments in cash receipting system, pet license system, and property tax systems.
- Balance daily cash transactions.
- Format and update license applications.
- Pick up mail at Post Office, sort and distribute mail.
- Assist the Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer with the maintenance of both physical and electronic files for all Village/Town records.
- Contribute to a cooperative working effort by demonstrating a willingness to perform other job-related work as needed or requested.
- Assist the Village/Town Administrator and Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer with the preparation and distribution of agenda packets.
- Complete assignments as directed by the Village/Town Administrator and Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Conduct oneself in a matter which promotes quality, professionalism and service excellence for employees, businesses, citizens, vendors and other local, State and Federal agencies.
- Ability to calmly approach and solve problems under stress, maintain and promote harmony in the workplace, stay concentrated for extended periods of time but flexible.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing with the general public.
- Ability to multitask on a daily basis.
- Maintain a degree of confidentiality.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 and applications as well as a variety of software applications and hardware including utilization of internet and file management.
- Notary Public certification within 6 months.
- Completion of the WisVote Certification within 6 months.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Education and/or experience
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent; Associate Degree in Administrative Assistant, or related field is desired.
- Two years of relevant work experience, including cash handling is required.
Salary to commensurate with experience. The Village/Town of Somers offers excellent benefit package including Wisconsin Retirement System, health & dental insurance.
A full description of the position is available here, the job posting is available here.
This position is located at Village/Town Hall in Somers, 7511 12th Street in Somers. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Some evening and weekend work is required.
Send resume with references to: Village of Somers, Attn: Jason J. Peters, Village/Town Administrator, PO Box 197, Somers, WI 53171 or email [email protected].
All open positions are listed at this link.