The Village of Somers is seeking a candidate for the position of Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer. This is a full-time, non-represented position appointed by the Village and Town Board and reports to the Village/Town Administrator. The Clerk/Treasurer is required to attend meetings of the Village/Town Board, Board of Review, and other meetings as assigned. The person in this position is responsible for maintaining the official Village/Town records, proceedings and other official records as required by statute or Village/Town Board request. The Clerk/Treasurer position requires continuing education to stay current with changes in state statutes, regulations, and administrative code affecting the Village/Town. The Clerk/Treasurer assists the management of the Village/Town finances by helping with the preparation of the annual Village/Town and Utilities budgets.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintain files on all Village/Town records, ordinances, resolutions, and fiscal information
- Attend meetings, takes minutes, and maintain files for the Village/Town Board, Village/Town Board of Review and other official boards and commissions as directed
- Prepare and oversee proper posting of and distribution of agendas for meetings
- Issue licenses required by ordinance or statute
- Coordinate, supervise and conduct elections. Submit election records to State Election Commission and ensure all voting machines and other equipment are in working order
- Prepare and file reports with the Department of Revenue such as Statement of Assessment, Statement of Taxes, Levy Limit Worksheet and Tax Increment Worksheet
- Assist the Administrator with the preparation and compilation of the annual Village/Town Budget
- Responsible for the collection of taxes for the Village/Town including preparing the mill rate, daily balance reports, and settlements with other taxing jurisdictions.
- Graduation from a college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or related field is preferred
- 1-3 years of municipal accounting and clerk experience preferred
- Certified Clerk or Treasurer desired
- Complete election training as described in Section 7.15(1m) of the Wisconsin State Statutes to conduct elections prior to the first scheduled election from appointment
- Notary Public certification within 6 months
- Must be bondable according to state statutes and maintain bondable status
Salary to commensurate with experience. The Village/Town of Somers offers excellent benefit package including Wisconsin Retirement System, health & dental insurance.
A full description of the position is available here.
This position is located at Village/Town Hall in Somers, 7511 12th Street in Somers. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Some evening and weekend work is required.
Send resume with references to: Village of Somers, Attn: Jason J. Peters, Village/Town Administrator, PO Box 197, Somers, WI 53171 or email [email protected].