The Village of Somers is seeking a candidate for the position of Accountant I. This is a full-time, non-represented position within the Clerk-Treasurer’s Office. The Accountant shall be responsible for assisting in the maintenance of the Village and Town of Somers accounting functions and related financial reporting. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to, assisting the Finance Manager with financial reporting, financial data processing, budget development, accounts receivable, accounts payable, utility billing, cash reconciliation, internal control and implementation of accounting policy.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Accounting Manager with the fiscal operations of the Village and Town of Somers and all its respective funds.
- Assist the Accounting Manager in the maintenance of requisite journals and ledgers.
- Assist the Village Administrator, Clerk/Treasurer, and Accounting Manager with the planning and development of all Village and Town annual budgets.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations for all Village and Town bank accounts.
- Maintain records related to the Village & Town asset and inventory control.
- Serve as back-up for accounts payable/receivable, utility billing and payroll.
- Assist the Village Administrator and Accounting Manager in researching grants and compliance with grant accounting requirements.
- Assist the Accounting Manager in monitoring monthly departmental financial performance.
- Assist Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer with collection and maintenance of special assessment database and property taxes.
- Assist the Village/Town Clerk/Treasurer and Accounting Manager in the coordination with auditors of the Village & Town for preparation of the annual reports of the Village & Town financial accounts, as well as TID audits if necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting or equivalent work experience; preferable with an emphasis in governmental accounting.
- Two years of recent accounting experience required.
Salary to commensurate with experience. The Village/Town of Somers offers excellent benefit package including Wisconsin Retirement System, health & dental insurance.
A full description of the position is available here.
This position is located at Village/Town Hall in Somers, 7511 12th Street in Somers. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Some evening and weekend work is required.
Send resume with references to: Village of Somers, Attn: Jason J. Peters, Village/Town Administrator, PO Box 197, Somers, WI 53171 or email [email protected] no later than 4 p.m. March 31, 2022.