(Photo courtesy of Jacqueline Klapproth Nelson)


The Wisconsin Department of Transportation/Southeast Region/Kenosha County has scheduled replacement of the 13th Avenue Pike River bridge in 2019. It is rated structurally deficient with a sufficiency rating of 32.1, has an NBI rating of 4 for the deck, and has extensive cracking and spalling.  The bridge was built in the 1930’s.


The project qualifies for federal and state funding under the 2015-2020 Local Bridge Program.  The 80% government funding cap for all project phases is $800,000.00.  The Village of Somers will provide the remaining 20% and any funds in excess of the $800,000.  The project has a total estimated cost of $1,005,000.


The Streambank Project will be completed by the Village of Somers Public Works Department.  It will restore and stabilize the eroded streambank at the 13th Avenue bridge location.  Engineering specifications for the project are currently in process.  Upon completion, plans will be submitted to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources who will review, approve, and issue appropriate permits.  The bridge and streambank are separate projects.