You are here
Kenosha County Will Administer New Village of Somers Zoning and Shoreland/Floodplain Ordinance
NEW VILLAGE ORDINANCE
The Village of Somers has adopted a new General Zoning and Shoreland/Floodplain Zoning Ordinance, which is substantively identical to Kenosha County’s General Zoning and Shoreland/Floodplain Zoning Ordinance. As a result, the Village of Somers has entered into an agreement with Kenosha County to provide the Village with floodplain, shoreland, wetland, planning, and zoning professional services. The County shall have the authority to enforce the Village of Somers zoning codes, including but not limited to, notices of zoning violations.
SCOPE OF COUNTY SERVICES
The County will service Village of Somers residents by telephone, and on a walk-in basis, provide copies of topographic, aerial, and zoning maps, as well as special reports via the Kenosha County Department of Planning & Development office. Additionally, the County will maintain parcel folder and parcel information repository and digitally archive all new and historic parcel data using Trakit – a permit and project tracking software.
• Issue zoning permits for code compliant structures
• Review occupancy permits for code compliant home occupations, temporary uses, new business uses
• Conditional use and rezoning petitions
• Comprehensive Plan map and text amendments
• Variance petitions, temporary use permit applications, administrative appeal petitions
• Land division by subdivision plat, condominium plat, or certified rurvey map reviews
• Site Plan reviews
• Zoning violation investigations
• Issue stipulated shoreland permits
• County staff will serve as liaison at Village Board, Planning Commission, and Board of Appeals meetings
• Click here for complete list of Professional Services provided by Kenosha County
NEW VILLAGE OF SOMERS ZONING APPLICATIONS AND FORMS
Kenosha County has created new fillable zoning applications and forms specifically for the Village of Somers.
Click here to view all on the Kenosha County website
Click here to view all on the Village/Town of Somers website
THIS NEW PARTNERSHIP WILL:
• Avoid duplicating staff time, training, and expense of administering Ordinance 27 at the Village level
• Save time for developers, citizens, and Village staff as a result of the zoning process being reduced from a two-step to a one-step process
• Save money for developers, citizens, and the Village by reducing duplication cost of documents
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR DEVELOPERS AND SOMERS CITIZENS?
Developers and Somers citizens will enjoy the time-saving convenience of talking with one person who has a working knowledge of the new Village of Somers Ordinance. The best place to start with questions, the need for clarification, or discussion about a specific parcel relating to zoning, is to contact our representative at Kenosha County:
(262) 857-1901 (direct line)